Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2011

A-Line Dress Pattern Draft

Front:



A-B = full length + 1/4 inch
A-C = 1/4 chest + 1/2 inch
Square lines from points A, B, and C.
A-F = shoulder + 1/4 inch
C-H = 1/4 chest + 1 1/2 inches
B-K = 1/4 chest + 3 1/4 inches
A-D = 1/12 chest (you can change this according to your taste) + 1/4 inch
A-E = 1/12 chest (you can change the depth of the front neck according to your taste) + 1/2 inch
Shape neck D-E.
Square down from F. Mark I where the squared line crosses H-C. Mark M where the squared line crosses B-K.
F-G = 1/2 inch (1 inch for adult-size dress)
Join G-D.
I-J = 1 inch
Shape armhole G-J-H.
L-K = 1/2 inch
Shape bottom hemline B-M-L as shown.
Extend B-M-L 1 inch for bottom hemline fold (shown by a dotted line in the pattern).

Back:



A-B = full length + 1/4 inch
A-C = 1/4 chest + 1/2 inch
Square lines from points A, B, and C.
A-F = shoulder + 1/4 inch
C-H = 1/4 chest + 1 1/2 inches
B-K = 1/4 chest + 3 1/4 inches
A-D = 1/12 chest (you can change this according to your taste) + 1/4 inch (or)
A-E = 3/4 inch (you can change the depth of the back neck according to your taste)+ 1/2 inch
Shape neck D-E.
Square down from F. Mark I where the squared line crosses H-C. Mark M where the squared line crosses B-K.

F-G = 1/2 inch (1 inch for adult-size dress)
Join G-D.
I-J = 2 1/2 inches

Shape armhole G-J-H.

L-K = 1/2 inch
Shape bottom hemline B-M-L as shown.
Extend B-M-L 1 inch for bottom hemline fold (shown by a dotted line in the pattern).
E-N = C-P = B-O = 2 1/2 inches. Join N-P-O for button stand at the back. Cut the back pattern at N-P-O for full opening.

45 comments:

  1. Thanks for this - very helpful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Sara. It's nice to know that this is helpful to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very clear! Thank you for sharing! Off to the sewing room!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is exactly what I needed to remake my vintage wedding dress. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Aery! I am happy to know that this tutorial was of help to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the knowledge u shared... can u tell us the fish line dress in the same way

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks this is a very helpful pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just found your blog by Pinterest! Oh my what an education you have given me! Thank you so very very much! This is so very helpful :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you very much for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello... tq so much for the pattern draft, I will try to make for my daughter :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Extremely detailed and so interesting to understand how a pattern can be broken down into tiny steps! Thanks from me too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A big thanks to u for sharing this tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  13. obrigado por partilhar. Temho uma netinhos gemeos de 3 anos fazer faço cortar tenho uita dificuldade, obrigado pela ajuda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks to everyone for your encouraging comments.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is great, but how do I take the shoulder measurement?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you SOOOO much for taking the time to share your vast knowledge with us.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank u, I enjoyed reading ds n I completely understand it.Ow abt a tutorial on trousers

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank u, I enjoyed reading ds n I completely understand it.Ow abt a tutorial on trousers

    ReplyDelete
  19. hi I have just printed of the a line dress pattern and page His not there , what am I doing wrong checked a few times no luck help

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for sharing. Very clear instructions. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing. Very clear instructions. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much for sharing, Flora!
    I've made up to 6 dresses with this tutorial.
    It's very easy to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice Website...
    Hey JOIN now fblikesbot.com and Increase Facebook Likes your profile and websites.
    Increase Facebook Likes and check your website worth worth my websites
    FB Likes and check your website worth Website Value Calculator
    Hot Wallpapers seo tools website
    its may be very beneficial for you also really

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hola me parece muy útil sólo que no entiendo mucho en pulgadas

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love you all the way from Nigeria. Thank you so much for this.

    ReplyDelete
  26. is 'shoulder' means half shoulder length?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Ajeena shoulder means half shoulder. Thanks for asking this question. I will change it to half shoulder in the tutorial.

      Delete
    2. Yes Ajeena shoulder means half shoulder. Thanks for asking this question. I will change it to half shoulder in the tutorial.

      Delete
  27. Tq for sharing. Very useful and clear

    ReplyDelete
  28. Tq for sharing. Very useful and clear

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks loads for this awesome pattern. Made a dress today and it looked great.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Maybe I missed it in the directions, but what size of a girl is this pattern for?

    ReplyDelete
  31. You can use this pattern draft to make dresses for kids as well as women. I have included the instructions for adult size too in the pattern draft. Please check.

    ReplyDelete
  32. You can use this pattern draft to make dresses for kids as well as women. I have included the instructions for adult size too in the pattern draft. Please check.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi-thanks for this - I am assuming this is for a woven fabric dress and not knit?

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you very much really helpful and informative

    ReplyDelete
  35. just found your blog. really very helpful post like it
    AFRICAN GEORGE

    ReplyDelete
  36. Flora! You complete me! Ha ha ha

    I was in search of a simple pattern I could alter for a woman of sizable girth but to no avail - until you, Flora, stepped in as an answer to prayer. I can simply take each measurement, fill in the blanks and viola!, a pattern is born! I cannot tell you what a God-send you and your blog are to me!

    Happy sewing, ma'am. Happy everything!

    ReplyDelete